question about ibooks 500mhz and such....

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tgg, Aug 27, 2006.

1. tgg macrumors member

Jul 31, 2005
    Prety soon I'll be buying a ibook but wanted to know are the atleast 500mhz ibooks still good functional computers? I am a windows user I have a gaming pc I play games and such, but I want a mac to learn the OS because I have my own local onsite computer tech bussiness and I get calls wanting to know if i know macs.

Can someone give me some advice and such thax....
  2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    It's good for a start. I would recommend at least a G4, or a maxed out G3 though. Remember to max out the other specs like memory and HD for best experience.
  3. oddfuzz macrumors member

Feb 20, 2002
    Good to go

I think an old ibook sounds perfect for what you're asking. I've been using a 600mhz imac (with 512mgs ram mind you) as my main machine since '01 and i'm finnaly thinking about upgrading come 10.5 (i hear it won't support the g3 chip). It's not going to feel snappy and i would not at all recommend anything under 500mhz for osx. But as far as just getting the feel for and learning the mac os, as far as i'm concered, a 500 or 600 g3 will get you a lot farther than most people around here will probably give credit for. Have fun with it
  4. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2006
    I'd look for a desktop if I were you, like an eMac or so. Desktops give more bang for the buck and just for learning you don't need the portability of an iBook.
  5. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

May 25, 2006
    Arlington VA
    If you need the portability, get an older ibook. If you just want to learn OS X, then get an imac G3 (which a lot of people are selling now), or an older powermac (late G3, early G4)
  6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I run Tiger on a 500 MHz iBook with 384 MB RAM at home. If all you're looking for right now is surfing, e-mail, word-processing, and learning OS X, a maxed out one will be fine. Start getting into things like Photoshop and it begins to bog down. Forget about any sort of even semi-modern games.