question about iMac c2d memory

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by McGarvels, Nov 12, 2006.

1. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Hi All,
    So I was going to install new memory into my new 20" iMac c2d (refurbished) when I noticed that there is only 1 memory slot filled with a 1GB stick. I thought that the RAM on all the CD or C2D had to have both memory slots filled? My computer is running normally with only the 1 stick, but I was just curious. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nah, it's mainly for the Mac mini and the MacBook that use the extra little bit of oomph from using matched pairs of RAM to boost the graphics performance. It's not a requirement though and seeing as you've got a spare slot it means you can upgrade all the way to 3GB if you wished without having to throw anything out.

3. McGarvels thread starter macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Awesome, that works for me. Any recommendations on RAM? I'm not sure what vendor to go with. Thanks for the help.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I trust OWC and DMS for my RAM purchases...you'll find that they both come highly recommended here.

Both companies offer good prices, are very Mac-knowledgeable, and have terrific customer service. You might be able to find cheaper, generic PC RAM out there somewhere, but I find it better to go with these guys. They guarantee their RAM to work in your machine and will take great care of you if it doesn't.