Question about iPhone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dextertangocci, Jan 10, 2007.

1. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I am amazed by the iPhone! The look, the features etc, it is SO cool!

I'm just disappointed by the fact that it is only available in the USA in June, and Asia by 2008, which is probably when South Africa will get it.

My question: Can I get a friend in the USA to by one for me, And I just put my sim card from a network provider here in South Africa? Will it be locked? If it can, can it be unlocked somehow?

Also, why doesn't the iPhone have 3G/HSDPA? Many phones even in South Africa have it, why can't the iPhone, which is WAY ahead of any other phone:confused:

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

You would be better off asking Steve those questions.

3. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the irrelevant post. Greatly appreciated:rolleyes:

Can anyone else help me?:)

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Steve did announce that they will have 3G models. I expect it does not have it now because they are so far away from releasing the phone in the parts of the world where that matters (although it does matter to travelers). My guess is that the phone has to be bought with a 2 year service contract because part of its cost is being subsidized. I would also guess that you could go anywhere after that but many of the features shown require support from the phone company. I do not know if they would work everywhere. It will depend on what arrangements are made in your country.

The iPhone is in its infancy. I imagine things will be different, and cheaper, in a few years. I also expect to see this technology in more than just one Apple product.

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Well, first off, no one can answer whether or not the phone can be unlocked because no one has had a chance to play around with it. For that same reason, no one really knows how easy it'll be to just jump carriers (because of the features), so Phungy was right in his response.

At any rate, no, I don't think you'll be able to grab up the iPhone from the US and port it over to your carrier just by putting in your sim. Even if you can figure out how to get it unlocked, the visual voicemail will take a complete overhaul by part of the other carriers (just as it did for Cingular), so until Apple partners up with those companies, Cingular it is.

6. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000

7. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

You've got 6 months to plan your relocation! :cool: :p

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

or maybe we might be able to buy the phone on grey import like through expansys
    http://www.expansys.com/

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Nah you don't. Just think, when you can finally buy one, Apple will have its kinks worked out and enough feedback to add the features that are missing (3G, wireless sync.. any other quirks). Then all us US buyers that jumped on the bandwagon upon release will be jealous of you! :p

10. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, never thought of that!

I'm happy now:)