question about ipod 3g vs. 4g dock port size

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Col127, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Col127 macrumors 6502

i was wondering if anyone could answer this for me. is the dock port size the same for the ipod 3g and 4g? like could i use my 3g dock cable for a 4g ipod? the reason why i ask this is because i know apple made a new dock for the 4g ipod, so i'm a little confused.

i'm gonna be installing the ipod adapter into my 3 series bmw. i currently have a 3g ipod but have been contemplating a new 4g. the ipod ur bmw site doesn't mention anything about the adapter working with the new 4gs. so i was wondering if the cable would work for both a 3g and 4g ipod. thanks.

2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i think the ports are the same, only the dock cradle to hold the iPod has changed.

just to add some more info, the cable that came with my iPod mini worked with 3rd gen iPod.

4. Col127 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the heads up. i guess they created the 4g dock because the form factor size of the ipod has changed?

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

yeah, i think so. it's a bit unfortunate that the dock wasn't somehow designed to be compatible across all iPod models...