Question about ipod mini 4gb 4th gen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jdm_rsx, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

wassups guys, ill get straight to the point...

i want to know what the mini ipod CANT do compared to the ...
    20gb , 40gb and 60gb ones..

besides it can store more music..?
    i know the new color ipods can store photos?

anything else?

can i use the mini ipod 4gb as a flash drive? to store homework? files etc?
    thats my main concern...

thanks!!!

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

It is the same.

And yes both can act as flash drives.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you mean hard drive... yes, it will work as an external hard drive. There are a few add-ons that won't work, like Belkin's media reader (I think) and microphone adapters. For some reason, it's not in the mini's software to allow recording. Hopefully that is fixed in the next rev, due at MWSF on Jan 11th. Look around Apple's online store for some other things that say not compatible with iPod mini. But for what you'd want, it looks like it'd be fine as long as it being "only" 4GB doesn't bother you.

4. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

right now i have a 512mb sandisk flash drive and i need a bigger one...

so a friend told me to buy an mini ipod instead and it works exaclty like a flash drive...but i want to make sure that it works first

what i do is put my art projects into flash and transfer files back and forth...

4gb is more than enough...for me....

will the ipod change in MWSF? i should wait???

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It will work better than a flash drive (faster, more reliable), but same principle. Plug it in, transfer files just like a regular hard drive. Couldn't hurt to wait. MacWorld is only a few weeks away and there are rumors of an updated iPod mini and even the possiblity of a flash based iPod for the sub-$200 market. Guess we'll see.

6. BugMeNot macrumors newbie

New iPod mini

I just got a brand new iPod mini. It is awsome! I only have one problem. There is always a very dim light on the screen. It is as if the backlight is not turning off all the way. The light is so dim you can only see it in the dark, but I am concerned that it is wasting battery life. I no the 20 gb iPod does not do the same thing because I checked my friends.

If you have any information on this problem, or know someone who has had the same problem, please post a reply. Thanks.

iPod mini ROCKS!

7. baummer macrumors 6502a

Try turning off the backlight feature from the menu. That should clear your problem. And this is not uncommon on small LCD screens for there to be a slight glow. If anything, it's probably using 0.001% of your battery, if that.