Question about leaving iBooks on.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Brother Michael, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Hey,
    I leave my iBook on all the time at school, even at night, I leave it on with adium on, and iTunes. The only times it is really off is when I am traveling, walking to class, in class when not needed, and once every sunday for an automatic reboot.

Is that bad for it? I mean will the laptop burn up within a few weeks? If this is border line, then what can I do to cool it down?

I have a friend of mine that has a TI Powerbook and he leaves it run all the time cept for the conditions I listed, and it runs fine...

Mike

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i don't think it's a problem... the only thing i'd do is dim the backlight when you won't be using it much - that's one part that could definitely benefit from being turned down. if the backlight goes, the iBook will work but the display won't!

3. Brother Michael thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Ok, that isn't too hard. I typically set my screen saver for five minutes, my dim for 10 minutes and the whole screen off at 15 minutes. I could also bump that whole time down 5 minutes. (aka, screen saver after 3, dim at 5, off at 10).

Also I noticed the hdd area of the book is cooler when iTunes is off/closed. Is that normal? Does iTunes really put that much stress on the drive?

Mike