Question about mac games.

Discussion in 'Games' started by amd4me, Feb 8, 2007.

1. amd4me macrumors 6502

I have noticed that alot of the games I see on the mac games list are available in wally world and such but are listed as only being compatible with windows.
    Are there special versions of these games for mac? Or are they just listed as windows XP compatible only?
    Oh and could some one please explain the universal binary thing to me?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Universal Binary is an application which is written to run natively on both PPC and Intel -based Macs.

As for the games, sometimes a single disc will be compatible for both Macs and PCs (for Myst, as an example), but normally there will be different packages for each one. It will need to specify Mac OS X on the box for you to be able to play it.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Unfortunately the Mac version is usually a separate product, and is almost always more expensive than the Windows version.

"Universal binary" was a circa-2005 term used by developers to indicate that the software would run on Intel and PowerPC systems. The current name is "universal application".

Edit: And that's what happens if I leave a tab open and reply without reloading :p