Question about Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VelvetElegance, Feb 22, 2006.

1. VelvetElegance macrumors regular

Ok so this is the second time this has happened to me since I have been using Mail. A really funky thing happens. I'll start an e mail and then want to come back to it last so I'll save it as a draft. I can see the e mail in the draft folder. Then I come back to it later because I want to add some more stuff to it and I open it and start to scroll to where the spot would see and then suddenly it's gone! *poof* It's like it went up in smoke. I checked all my other folders and even checked the trash. I simply cannot find it anywhere on my system. Has anybody ever had this happen to them?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

if I didn't know Apple is above such things I'd think you've found a bug in OS X ;)

can't speak for solutions, but have you reported it?

3. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I don't know if this will work for a saved e-mail but did you try doing a system-wide search on your computer? I don't know what OS you're running but would Spotlight work for such things? I've never had to search for an e-mail but searches have come in handy for things I can't find.

4. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

I am using OSX 10.4.5 and yes, I tried Spotlight. It's like the email vanished into thin air. Literally right before my eyes. I KNOW I had it saved, because I had been working on it for over two weeks. I tried my trash folders as well..a big fat NOTHING!!

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it an IMAP account and do you use other computers for email? Is it possible that another computer has deleted the draft from the server (assuming it is an IMAP account)? :)

6. dragonball05 macrumors member

a similar thing happens if you use pine on a computer, set up to read stuff
    from an imap server. if you postpone a message and then try later to
    continue writing, then if you make a mistake authenticating while you're
    sending the message, it disappears into thin air! so could it be an
    authentication problem, combined with poor "dead.letter saving" on both
    mail clients? i wonder..... but, as you can tell, i'm not an expert on these
    issues, and this is just an idea.

DB

7. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

I know it sounds crazy, but this happened almost simultaneously while I was editing it. I only use one machine for reading mail. It wasn't addressed to anyone and as far as I know, it was just a draft. Seems like I should be able to find it using Spotlight but no such luck..

8. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

Hmmm..

If you have AppleCare, there is live chat with support online. They have solved all of my problems, maybe they could help you??