Question about making the dvd on the powerbook 17" region free ....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by babka, Oct 21, 2004.

1. babka macrumors newbie

I had a friend download the VLC free program on the internet. This allows you to play dvds from other countries when you use it rather than the dvd player on the powerbook. Here is the download in case anyone is interested....

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

In any case, I copied the cd onto my desktop in the powerbook. But I still can't play other region dvds? When I installed it onto my PC it worked right away and as soon as I put in a region 2 dvd , it played it automatically. On the powerbook, I changed the preferences so that when I load a dvd, it plays it using the VLC program rather then the macs dvd player. But it still does not work. Although I downloaded it onto the pc and with the powerbook, I copied the cd he burned for me since my modem (& DVI connection to top it off) broke on the powerbook to go online. Can someone help me to get it to work. It seems like it should be really easy . So maybe I am not seeing something. Ot is there maybe an easier way to go region free without having to use up the 4 times allowed to change the region on the mac's drive?
    thanks

2. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Because of the limit on the drive, I don't believe any software can override that. The drive's firmware limits the number of region changes--so once they're used up, they're used up. I don't think software can override that...but someone correct me if I'm wrong!

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Nope, you are correct. This is one of the few disadvantages of a mac, oh well.

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

You may be able to patch the DVD drive firmware (see here). But be warned this may be a warranty voiding procedure!

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

No question this WILL void your warranty! I wish they'd all just quit with the region thing. I hate having to wait months for a DVD or game release in the UK just to then be RIPPED OFF! I wish they'd play fair!

6. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Do external DVD-readers for the mac have that restriction? one could get an external unit for non-local region DVDs...

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yes you can do that, but you shouldn't have to. Region codes are just a huge pain in the butt for anyone that doesn't stay in their country watching dubbed movies forever.

8. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

And for those who receive/buy DVD's from other countries.

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I don't really bother to order RC1 DVDs anymore. When I order I order from play.com and get the RC2 British ones. Ships beautifully to Germany with almost never added tax.

10. babka thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys, I wasnt talking about software to override the # of times you can changes the region. That VLC program simply plays dvds, and you use it instead of the mac dvd player. Its just I cant get it to work since I did not directly download it but rather installed it using my friend's burned cd of it.

It works on all powerbooks, but I cant get it to play for some reason. Any help would be appreciated!
    :D

11. babka thread starter macrumors newbie

12. bellis1 macrumors 6502

I did it.

I had a 17" rev A and patched the firmware. There is a detailed firmware page out there where you can get instructions and the files. I flashed mine several times without problems. You also need a software program called DVD regionfree X or something similar. All of this probably voids warranty but I think you could just flash it back if it ever needed to be sent to Apple. And they probably don't check. I had to send mine in for something and they never noticed. They also forgot their repair diagnostics cd they used for checking my computer and I don't see how it would detect it unless they were being anal. Anyone know why that CD looks like it is from OS 9 eventhough it is a new computer? I was doing this because I was working and travelling between several regions including U.S., South America, Europe, and Africa. It worked fine for me until my poor laptop got stolen in Africa. If you really need more detailed information I can likely track it down for you.

Just flash the drive and quit playing this region game. It really is ridiculous to have on a laptop. I had no problems at all when mine was flashed.

13. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Are you sure you have the right version of VLC? In your original post, it sounds like your friend downloaded the Windows version of VLC for his PC and that's what you burned to a CD. Obviously, you can't use a Windows version on your Mac.

If you do have the right version, why don't you try the following.

1. Repair permissions. This is what a lot of users do when things go unexpectedly wrong.

2. Delete the VLC preferences. They may be corrupt.

3. Try downloading a fresh copy of VLC and re-installing. Maybe something got screwed up on the install.

4. Alternatively, I guess you could use Handbrake and rip the DVD to a mp4 file.

Hope this helps.

14. babka thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys. Yes I did it right and for mac. But its still no working .. Bellis or anyone . can you tell me where to buy this flash thing. Gosh, I just want to play dvds from the UK that I bought and not have to switch each time. thanks

15. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Here's one

Here's a site for flashing Pioneer DVDs and a few other well known brands in order to make them region free.

http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/

I also like this particular app which makes your DVD player appear region free without the need to flash anything. Unfortunately it's for PCs only. Maybe a software expert here can port it for Macs.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

This whole region garbage is exactly that. It has absolutely nothing to do with piracy etc, and everything to do with just plain greed. The avarice of the movie studios for even more billions than the billions they already make :(

16. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

VLC will only read what the DVD drive's firmware will let it read. When I lived in Australia I spend months on this problem. I finally got a firmware patch to allow for unlimited region switching. NO SOFTWARE will get around the DVD region thing. You MUST update the drive's FIRMWARE to get it to work. It will most certainly void your warranty. It is a dangerous operation that left my original drive fried. Although the 3 other DVD drives worked fine after the patch, they crapped out for other reasons. (by they way the computer was a TIbook 500.)

This is not just a Mac thing. Every DVD drive manufacturer puts region switching limitations on their drives. The industry standard is 5 switches. I agree that the whole DVD region thing stinks, but that is the way it is so we must work around it.

17. sebisworld macrumors 6502

The Matshita drive in your powerbook does not let you read DVDs if you do not have the correct region. There is no way around that but to flash its firmware. I have the same problem and that's why I downloaded some movies of the net to which I already own an American DVD. Because, quite frankly, i don't have the money to buy DVDs twice.

18. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Not quite true...

Your statement above is simply not true - didn't you read my post above???

Unfortunately the software only works with Windows, but it does make the DVD player appear region free without the need to flash the firmware.

Try it and you'll see.

19. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

20. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Oops doble post

MacRumors software on the blink again.

Sorry for the double post.

21. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Ahh, I didnt see that little bit in your post. As I merely use PCs at work and dont know much about tech issues and the original poster was talking about a Powerbook, I feel reasonably sure that my statement that no software, only firmware can make a Mac region free. If there is indeed some little app that will make my drive region free please someone tell me about it and I will use it and then glady eat my words!! ;)

22. babka thread starter macrumors newbie

why is it so hard to do this? anyone have a simple solution and exactly where to get it?

23. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

I think the problem lies in the fact that what you are trying to do is illegal and will void your warranty.

You need to find out your model of superdrive by looking in Apple System Profiler.

Then, look here : http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/download2.html

Simple.

24. zzarg macrumors newbie

Regions :(

The biggest problem is that we (the DVD buying public) who support the profits of the movie companies don't fight back...
    Problem being there aren't enough people who travel or get DVDs from overseas to actually make a decent dent in the profits.
    It's all about greed and control.... maximising revenue by controlling where you can buy and view DVDs
    It's now starting to happen with music... every generation of player and play-back tool adds more restrictions, and it won't be long before the OS vendors start shifting the control into the OS so it's harder (impossible ?) to circumvent :(
    Waiting for the day after my warranty expires, and it's Flashing time :)