Question about MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RichQ03, Apr 19, 2006.

  1. RichQ03 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2006
    #1
    I've been reading about how apple is due to release new versions of their intel macbooks in the next month or 2...the question is that I'm a student now and can get the student discount, is it worth getting the 15" MBP now...or wait till later...this is replacing my current computer as my primary machine.

    Also, is the upgrade from 1 gig to 2 gigs of ram worth the ~300$, same as the upgrade in the processor from 2.0 to 2.16 GHz for about the same price?

    Thanks for the input!
     
  2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #2
    There was a topic about the 1.86 vs the 2.0. Most if not all picked the 1.86.
    Do not buy ram from apple. Let me say this again, DO NOT BUY RAM FROM APPLE. Wait til the summer for the buy a mac get an iPod deal.
     
  3. ipacmm macrumors 65816

    ipacmm

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    #3
    I think it is a little early for apple to update the MBP's, there have been other threads talking about this. But if you need it now, I would just buy it, if you can wait...I guess wait.

    xparaparafreakx is right about the ram, I would buy the extra ram from macsales.com or crucial.com.
     
  4. slazareth macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2006
    #4
    For marketing reasons, I don't think Apple will be releasing any substantial updates to the macbook pro until fall sometime (the 15" model that is). Not only is the macbook pro too new for an update, but they've got other things to worry about releasing in the meantime. Mainly the macbook and the powermac (perhaps mac pro?) I'm sure we'll see another iPod released in this time too. I'm typing this on my macbook pro right now. I love this thing. Also, I bought my extra ram at other world computing. Cost me like 120 and it was def worth it.
     
  5. RichQ03 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2006
    #5
    they are planning on an ipod deal? did i miss this?

    What about the processor upgrade, from 2.0 to 2.16?

    Thanks for the help!
     
  6. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

    indigoflowAS

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2005
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #6
    iPod deals tend to show up in the back to school season. Might be a $200 credit for an iPod.

    As other cats have said, get RAM from another outfit, I personally have been eyeballing the Other World Computing site...their RAM is priced rather reasonably and has a fine warranty.

    going from 2.0 to 2.16...I personally dont think 160mHz is worth $270, but that's just me.

    So hold off if you can...maybe by the end of summer, word will start flying about 2.16 as a standard spec.
    :D
     

Share This Page