Question about Memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iMacSE500, Aug 20, 2005.

1. iMacSE500 macrumors member

iMacSE500

Okay, so I want to purchase a 1GB RAM for my iMac G5 (1.8GHz). I checked crucial, and they have 1GB for $146. However, when i use dealram.com, i find that there is a company (Omni Technologies) that sells 3 different types of 1GB for the iMac. One is generic for $96, one is OPTIVAL for $102, and the last is HYPERFORMANCE for $108. My question is, which one will give the best for my money? Or are all 4 types of RAM the same just with different prices?
    Thanks for the help :)

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I admit an unfounded bias about Omni. I have never bought anything from them, but I am put off in a major way by their website and their advertising. "Hyperformance" and "Fastest Possible memory" are bafflegab, as is their implication that being an Apple developer somehow confers some Apple approval of their products. That is enough to convince me.

In the USA, I would recommend going with a solid company like Data Memory Systems who have been in business for 18 years and know Macs inside and out. 1 Gb $119

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

CanadaRAM gives good ram advice. Its in his name after all. Bad memory causes all sorts of random problems, I'd go with a reputable company. saving $30-40 dollars now isn't worth the hours of frustration it may cause 6 months or a year down the road. thats My $.02

4. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

You can't go wrong with Crucial. They guarantee the RAM will be compatible and give a liftetime warranty. I and many others on this board have ordered from them and been very happy. As for whether or not the different types of RAM are actually faster, I don't know for sure. However, the best idea, as mentioned before, would be to buy from a reputable company.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY