Question about MhtRedir.gen

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cygni, Mar 5, 2005.

1. cygni macrumors regular

cygni

Earlier I performed my bi-weekly virus scan and it found this trojan horse...

/Users/xxxx/Library/Caches/Safari/06/09/2749404012-3029837714.cache/0000040a.js/0000040a.js
    Found the Exploit-MhtRedir.gen trojan !!!
    The file has been deleted.

Has anyone else been similarly infected?
    Does this mean my mac was infected by a trojan horse or that the trojan horse was simply dormant on the mac? Where would I have gotten it from? I don't use html email and can't imagine howmy machine was infected. Also, Little snitch never alerted me to anything regarding weird connections. I'm using mac os x 10.3.8 and safai 1.2.4. The only ms program I have is windows media player.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

it means your mac was hosting it for a windows pc...

like you wouldnt get infected but if you sent it to a windows pc they would

3. cygni thread starter macrumors regular

cygni

Wow, you're quick. thanks. :)

Ok, so should I notify everyone I send emails, to do a virus scan? Is there a way I can check to see if it was sent out to others via email?

4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

No, not send it like in email but if the file goes on the windows machine...

but it may be in email, you could tell them to be safe

but it does not affect users as much now - microsoft released a fix in IE (yep, it was an IE trojan...)

5. cygni thread starter macrumors regular

cygni

Thank you very much,

It's weird that I somehow acquired an IE trojan in the last 2 weeks, as I deleted IE over a year ago and use Safari or Camino exclusively. That's just wild wacky stuff. :D

You have been very helpful. I went through my email and verified I did not send any attachments out, so I guess everyone is safe. Thank you again, I was worried for a minute and you have been extremely helpful. :)