question about "Migration Assistant" and dual-booting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CoffeeMonkey, Apr 26, 2005.

1. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2003
    I see that the Migration Assistant utility made it into the final build of Tiger.

Does anybody here know if I can install Tiger onto the second drive of my desktop and then pull everything in from the original drive? Or does the computer you are migrating from actually have to be a different box for some reason?

And if for some reason Tiger (or any of the apps that I'd want to run under Tiger) is acting flaky, can I choose which drive to boot off of until everything is stable?

And finally, is there any disadvantage to "migrating" an app rather than just doing a fresh install of the app as well?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Idgit macrumors 6502

Mar 14, 2004
    1) Yes, you can "migrate" an old install on a separate partition to your Tiger installation. Moreover, you can selectively migrate stuff over. So, you can import your user folder but not the applications folder.

2) Yes, if Tiger is causing kernel panics and you can select your Panther install from the startup disk preference pane, then just hold down the option key during restart. This will allow you to select a different partition at startup.

3) Certain apps will install items in your user library folder or your system wide library, usually in the Application support folder or Quicktime plugins folder. Apps like Photoshop are probably better re-installed from scratch. Some utilities should also be re-installed from scratch. For example, USB Overdrive, Macaroni, NetBarrier, LittleSnitch. But for most apps, you'll be fine.