Question about monitors that have HDMI

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by markw10, Nov 5, 2006.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    I am planning on slowly upgrading my computer monitors to widescreen models during the next year, likely 22 inches or so. Samsung makes a 224BW model which is a 22 inch widescreen at a good price. I have heard that Samsung, Dell ,and Viewsonic are the best brands to look at. Any other brands I should look into? What I like about the Samsung is it does have HDCP.
    I know technology always changes but I want to do the best I can to buy futureproof technology. I like watching HDTV so want something that could even display HDTV without the computer for example by hooking up a cable or satellite receiver to it. I have heard to look for a monitor that has a HDMI port but I don't see it and I wouldn't want to pay a lot extra for it. I know most have both a DVI port as well as a DVI-D port. Of course the DVI port would be used by the computer but with a switchbox could I hook up a satellite/cable receiver to the DVI port and watch HDTV on it since it has HDCP? As well, do these monitors display 1080p or only 720p and 1080i?
  2. Riverdales27 macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2006
    where can i buy the dmi to hdmi cables at? i heard there expensive. my parents got a 46" hdtv lcd, and i want to hook up my macbook on that thing lol. i told my parents to get a 1080p, but we got a 720p with 1080i.
  3. richpjr macrumors 68020

May 9, 2006

The 22" monitors you mention do not have enough resolution to handle 1080i or 1080p
  4. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Also, fortunately enough, DVI is capable of accurately displaying HDCP encrypted content.

HDMI > DVI cables and/or adapters can be found at your local electronics store or at Wal-Mart. They are pretty expensive, but Target and Wal-mart seem to have cheaper options. From what I've heard, even basic cables are good enough as the signal is all digital.