Question about mono recording

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bjurusik, Jan 12, 2004.

1. bjurusik macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2004
    Alright, quick question for those of you with a bit more experience in recording. I have a Boss multi FX pedal with a left and right output, good for such effects as a phaser/flanger/etc. Suppose I send the two outputs into GB as two mono inputs, then pan 1 channel all the way left and the other channel all the way right, I would have the original stereo signal, correct? Thanks.
  2. Kleekoh macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2003
    Technically yes, though I wouldn't do a full 100% left and right pan, it always sounds a bit cheesy. 80% or so would sound great.
  3. C14ru5 macrumors member

Jul 22, 2002
    Oslo, Norway, Sector ZZ9 PluralZ Alpha
    Be aware that if you reduce the panning (like 80%), some harmonic components may be cancelled out due to comb filter effects...but that might be exactly what you want :)

If you DON'T want the comb filter effect to occur, you should experiment with the stereo spread parameter in your effect box (pre record and not post record), if such a parameter is present. However, then you won't get as much flexibility during mixing, so I would probably still go for 100% spread while recording.