Question about mother-in-law statement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jc0481, Mar 16, 2005.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

I was talking to my mother-in-law the other day and got into talking about computers. I told her of the advantages of a mac over crap windows. One of the advantages are that it currently has no viruses, she seemed surprised by that but then she just laughed and said "not yet". What she did not understand that OS X has been out for four years now and not a single virus has affected it. My question is how can I fight back on a statement like that. It left pondering. Any help will be appreciated thanks.
    JC

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well yes, OS X in inherently more secure than Windows, but eventually there will be a virus written for it, its really just a matter of time if you ask me, however, i think it will be patched fairly quickly & i think it wont have a large impact

just because OS X is more secure doesnt mean that there will never be a virus for it, and its not the only reason to switch to macs, right now its a pro yes, and there will be few viruses for Macs than Windows for a long time, if not forever

3. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

4. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Just divorce your wife. This is unacceptable. Marry the MR Forums. We are all you need. Joinnnnnnnnnn Ussssssssssssssss

5. zythums macrumors newbie

No I think you got it wrong. You see, Mac Vs Windoze has NOTHING to do with it - she's just out to piss u off. Try talking to her about the good points of windoze (I know that's hard but you got to try to think of something) and see what she says.

I bet she'll rip u off again. :p

6. Maedus macrumors regular

Or you could tell your mother-in-law that your spouse is virus free and see if she laughs and says something like "not fo long." :eek: Either your mother-in-law is really trying to annoy you, or she has information you should know. :eek:

7. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

C'mon get with the programme and ignore most of the rubbish that spews forth from your mother-in-laws mouth....works for me and 99% of married men.
    Try smiling politely, nodding while agreeing with her whilst thinking " WTF do you know you OLD HAG!?"

just a thought :)

8. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

This should not be posted in buying tips. :rolleyes:

9. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

LMAO!!!! :D

10. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

just say to her that there are no virii on any kind of unix. end of...

to say it's because there are more windows boxes than anything else is rubbish, if i was a virus writer i'd have written a macosx virus ages ago to shut up all the smug apple owners :). the fact that hasn't happened says something

11. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Not only that, but since UNIX has been used in a serious number of important bits in internet infrastructure, anyone really interested in causing havoc would have targetted it years ago.

No, in this instance it's obvious. The Mother-in-Law is infected and needs cleaning. Or at least put in quarantine.

12. jc0481 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help guys

Yeah maybe I should divorce my wife and get it done with. j/k
    Next time I'll be on my Imac G5 humming away happily while the rest of the family are on windows.

13. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

If you want to switch your mother-in-law, give her an iBook for Christmas.

Kind of an expensive present, but then she won't ask you to take the virus off her PC (if she can't do it herself, of course).

14. brap macrumors 68000

Never before has a truer word been spoken.

Laugh it off, and don't fix her computer ever again.

15. vtprinz macrumors 6502

It may or may not say something. Outside of apple users, your average PC user never even thinks about macs (with the exception of the ipod), let alone knows that we have no viruses. Then again, I guess if you're writing a virus then you're not the average PC user.

What's the market share held by apple these days anyway?

16. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

That's not really true, though. They're just very rare and since, unlike with some other OS, most users don't run as admin/root all day long damage whould be limited.

17. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hahaha just let her us her pc :) why should u help mother in laws anyway