Question About Mozilla Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cristian, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Cristian macrumors 6502

Cristian

can i add my hotmail and other email accounts into thunderbird? So i can read all my emails in just thunderbird, i tried but it asked for an incoming and outgoing server whats that?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You certainly can add email servers to Thunderbird. In order to find out incoming/outgoing settings consult the hotmail webpage.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Of course you can, otherwise what would be the point of having Thunderbird.

The first thing is that your accounts will have to support POP3 or IMAP access externally. I don't use hotmail, but most free email accounts have now disabled POP3 access unless you pay. Gmail is the exception in my case, but their support for POP3 is pretty limited, it won't let the email client delete messages off the server and it won't mark messages on the server as read once they have been downloaded.

The other option is to follow balamw's advice. I have used freepops in the past, it fairly slow, but it definitely works.

In the first scenario hotmail should have instructions available to you. In the second scenario I know the freepops site has instructions for most mail clients and most mail services.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I use Mail, but for what it's worth, here's a short list of major free e-mails and what you can do:

Google -- works out of the box with POP3, but some limitations regarding the way it handles deleted mail and synching

AOL -- works out of the box with IMAP (yayness)

Yahoo -- I have it running with FreePOPs

Hotmail -- I have it running with FreePOPs. In Mail.app but not Thunderbird, HTTPMail is a more user-friendly option, but it doesn't work with all accounts. FreePOPs should pretty much work for any user.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I would easily pay $25/year or more for for gmail if it supported IMAP4.

B

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Totally agree. :(

It's such a nuisance to keep giving out new e-mail addresses, but you might try AOL. The web interface is not as nice as Google's, and it is the evil empire, but it's 2GB, free, a well-known domain, and has IMAP.

I just live with the fact that Google Mail on the web isn't really sync'd to my Mail.app.... And I made a rule to automatically redirect my sent mails from the inbox (where they puzzlingly appear) to my sent mail folder. :)

8. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Mine too! I hate that!!!!