Question about MS Office licensing.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kkikuchi, May 17, 2004.

1. kkikuchi macrumors newbie

When I received my copy of Office v.X (student/teacher edition), I was surprised to find three Product keys for three installations "in the same household." My (first) question: does the "standard" and "professional" version also come wth three licenses (and does the 2004 student/teacher version, for that matter). Question 2: can someone tell me if there's any reason to pay MS money to get upgraded to either the "standard" or "professional" versions under the "Technology Guarantee" upgrade plan? I know about the Virtual PC with the "professional" (which becomes only a curiosity since a real PC doesn't cost much more than $130, not that there aren't other around the house). Also, does Virtual PC that comes with the professional version come with a Windows OS? Thanks.

2. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

from what i recall you can not upgrade the edu versions of office. you have to buy it all over again.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Standard Office X comes with 1 code and only allows you to run it on 1 computer at a time. If you start up a 2nd installation it'll find the 1st one on the network and won't run. Of course if you're computers aren't networked it's a nonissue.

Personally, I don't see any reason to upgrade Microsoft Office at all. Ever. Features that you actually use and need are hardly ever added. If you bought a new version every 10 years you'd see some imporovements. It's just a money grab for Microsoft.

And why bother with VPC anyway? If you needed it you would have already bought it. As a throw-in with Office it's not much more than a trojan horse.

4. kkikuchi thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps I should clarify.

I'm asking because I bought v.X during the period in which MS offers a free upgrade (+ S/H) to same-"edition" Office 2004 (even the student/teacher edition). For an additional $90, one can "upgrade" to the 2004 "standard edition" or for for $120, one can "upgrade" to the 2004 "professional edition". To anyone who already has it, does the 2004 version require activation like later Windows Office versions? And geez, the network polling for like-product-keyed installations seems particularly nasty, so it would seem not worth it (even though there's only one Mac in the house).

5. simply258 macrumors regular

It does NOT require activation. And the Professional version comes with VPC7 with XP Pro. It seems like only Student and Teacher Edition can be installed on up to 3 computers.

6. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I'm in the same promotion. I just bought the Office 2004 Student Teacher for free. I was tempted to go to the Pro version, but since it includes VPC 7, it won't come out until late this summer.

JOD8FY

7. denm316 macrumors 6502

I agreee there is just not enough features to make me want to upgrade, now if I happen to come across it for free I will gladly upgrade.

8. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

At $7 through my University...I'm ready to upgrade! Though I agree, I went 5 years without upgrading...when I did--I discovered that a bunch of stuff sucked (like the built-in resume templates)...though a bunch of other stuff was better (like appearance).