Question about my powermac shutting off???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nospleen, May 20, 2003.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I purchased a dual 1.25 powermac from compusa the other day. Ten minutes after I had it up and running, it just turned off completely. I set it up again, and the same thing happened. I took it back to compusa and they did not have any more 1.25's. So I just purchased the dual 1.42. This one did the same thing? So I thought my surge protector could not handle the juice of the mac and monitor, so I plugged it into the wall. Same thing happened again?!! What could cause this to happen? I am suspecting I have too many plugs going into this outlet, would that affect it? Thanks for your help!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Try it on a completely different circuit breaker, hopefully one without any running motors on the line (fan, compressor (a/c, refrigerator, laser printer/copier, etc.) or any flourescent lights.

Bad power is a big pain, haven't had any real unexplained problems since I switch to using a line conditioning UPS myself.

Some of those cheap Power Bars are completely useless -- if there is a lot of noise or the line is running at low voltage due to load.

---

A lot of times bad power is the excuse if the computer works at the store -- but is running wild at the house/office.

3. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Are your feet anywhere near the powercords at the time your computers shut off. I have accidently shut off my mac by relaxing too much and touching the cords. Try squeezing the prongs on the plug a little tighter together.

4. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

No, the cords are behind the desk, my feet are not able to touch them.

5. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Excuse my ignorance for a sec. Will every plug in my computer room be connected to the same breaker? I.E. Would it benefit me to try a plug on the other side of the room? Or do I have to have the cord going out to the living room?:(

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Most likely yes, and a lot of times a bunch of rooms are on the same breaker. (You are probably near the point the breaker will trip)

You may actually have to go to the box and find a room that is not on the same breaker, or doesn't have a motor or flourescent light.

And move the machine to the new line and try it out.

And long extension cords are usually a bad idea, unless you are using one of the ones with BIG wires rated for higher current levels. (long wire and high load = potential fire danger)

7. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Hi, I think I have an idea.

This seems to be a common problem on the service forums.

Try disabling the power switch on the ADC display this can be done in the control panel.

If you are unable to disable, maybe try using a VGA monitor and see if you experience the same shut downs.

It seems many of the touch buttons are heat sensitive and can be triggered just by things such as sunlight.

Good luck!

8. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Re: Hi, I think I have an idea.

How do I disable the switch? I went to system prefs, but the only thing I could find was about putting the display to sleep?

9. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

10. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen