Question about networking-wifi, N, and ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by markw10, Nov 11, 2006.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    I got my first MacBook Pro a couple weeks ago. Later this year/early next year I will be getting a mac pro. I have a Windows XP network currently though that is partially wired since I have two desktops and a couple LAN printers and as well I have 2 desktops. With N networking I know I will be upgrading my wi-fi sometime next year and as well eventually would like to put a hub in that is gigabit ethernet. For now I just have a Linksys Ethernet hub for the wired part and a Linksys Wireless Access Point for the wi-fi.
    What hardware do most Mac people use? It doesn't seem like Apple makes any wired/ethernet solutions but does make the Airport and Airport Express. Do most people use these Apple solutions or is there another good brand to go with? I like how the Airport has the USB connector since I have one USB printer but as well I know if I use that for the printer then I assume the printer won't be available on the wired part of the network. As well, maybe this won't be a concern with N networking but my main computer and printers are in the basement, the other computers and laptops on the main level and I know with the current wi-fi the signal is weak in the basement so it's the possibility I'd need two airports or maybe an Airport and Airport express unless N solves this problem.
  2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    Hard to say about N. I suspect range will be comparable, if not actually less.

Airport Extreme Base has both WAN and LAN enet ports, so it can be used by itself wired and wireless (or hook a hub/switch to LAN port). It also has USB print server. It can also be configured as a bridge, if you already have a router. I have a B&W G3 PowerMac running as my router, with a switch for other wired machines (PC) and the Airport Base Station. Also have an Airport Express for Airtunes.

Both the Airports support extending the wireless network using WDS.

The Airports are easier to configure than most other wireless routers / access ports, but of course, they cost more. I've set up many other wireless networks using Linksys, D-Link, Airlink, and others, and haven't had any trouble using Mac's with them.
  3. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

May 26, 2006
    Macs work with any 802.11a/b/g/n device on the market today. You're currently using a Linksys product, if you like them stick with them for your future purchase, if not you can explore any other brand that makes wireless products.