Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xcalibur

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
I have 1 iMac running Panther and 1 PC running Windows XP, both connected to the internet through a wireless router + ADSL modem. My Mac and PC are also connected using ethernet to thansfer files. My question is there a way to ensure everytime i transfer files from my pc to my mac and vice versa it will be done through the ethernet and not wireless LAN? Thanks in advance!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
xcalibur said:
I have 1 iMac running Panther and 1 PC running Windows XP, both connected to the internet through a wireless router + ADSL modem. My Mac and PC are also connected using ethernet to thansfer files. My question is there a way to ensure everytime i transfer files from my pc to my mac and vice versa it will be done through the ethernet and not wireless LAN? Thanks in advance!
The simplest way to do this is to turn off the AirPort card temporarily on the Mac so it won't try to use it to connect. You might need to do something similar on the PC, but I'm not sure. I would guess that stopping wireless connections on one end should be enough. You can turn off the AirPort card from the little menulet in the upper-right corner of your menu bar (assuming you have this option enabled; if you don't, the equivalent command is located in the Network pane of System Preferences).

xcalibur

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
wrldwzrd89 said:
The simplest way to do this is to turn off the AirPort card temporarily on the Mac so it won't try to use it to connect. You might need to do something similar on the PC, but I'm not sure. I would guess that stopping wireless connections on one end should be enough. You can turn off the AirPort card from the little menulet in the upper-right corner of your menu bar (assuming you have this option enabled; if you don't, the equivalent command is located in the Network pane of System Preferences).
I know this is one of the options but i would rather this being my last option as it's troublesome. Is there another way to do it?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
xcalibur said:
I know this is one of the options but i would rather this being my last option as it's troublesome. Is there another way to do it?
I do have a second idea, although I can't GUARANTEE that this will work. Go into the Network pane of System Preferences and make sure that Ethernet is active and is the primary connection method (it should be the first one listed). I can't help you on setting up Windows to use Ethernet to connect, though. If I were you, I would shut off wireless connectivity when doing file transfers and not bother with this second method.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
xcalibur said:

Assuming both are on wireless - both computers will have two separate IP addresses, each of which should be on a different subnet (i.e. wired addresses might be 192.168.0.x, while the wireless addresses might be 192.168.1.x). Just do the transfer using the wired IP numeric address and you should be fine.

Because of the subnet mask (which should be 255.255.255.0) you won't be able to inadvertently "bridge" from one subnet to another - that is, a computer with a 192.168.0.x address won't even be aware of a 192.168.1.x address.

xcalibur

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Westside guy said:
Assuming both are on wireless - both computers will have two separate IP addresses, each of which should be on a different subnet (i.e. wired addresses might be 192.168.0.x, while the wireless addresses might be 192.168.1.x). Just do the transfer using the wired IP numeric address and you should be fine.

Because of the subnet mask (which should be 255.255.255.0) you won't be able to inadvertently "bridge" from one subnet to another - that is, a computer with a 192.168.0.x address won't even be aware of a 192.168.1.x address.

Thanks for the idea. This works. I just have to mount my pc's shared folders using its wired ip and not its wireless ip. Thanks again for all your help!

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
For me, I set up different locations in the Apple menu. Disabling and enabling different connections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.