Question about new Intel iMac Networking...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AJ Muni, Jan 18, 2006.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I just bought an intel iMac... and i want to transfer SOME of my information from my powerbook to the new imac. I dont have a firewire cable, and was wondering how can i do it??

2. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

If both computers have airport you can create a peer to peer network. Or just get a ethernet cable (patch or crossover) and connect them together that way.

3. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

You can use wifi or an ethernet cable to establish a peer to peer network between the machines. Or, if you have a home router or hub you can just network both machines. Using a network connection my involve some fiddling with firewall settings to open up the appropriate services.

By far the easiest way (assuming that you do not use FileVault) is to shutdown one machine and then turn it on while holding down the "T" key. For example, have your iMac booted, then power up the powerbook while holding down the "t" key. When the powerbook screen is blue with a bouncing firewire symbol, connect a firewire cable between the powerbook and the iMac. The powerbook is now acting as an external hard drive for the iMac. The powerbook drive will mount on the iMac desktop and you can simply copy the required files over to the iMac.

Remember to keep the powerbook connected to a power adapter while you do this since after a while the battery will drain, potentially corrupting the powerbook filesystem if it is not cleanly unmounted. When you are done copying files, eject the powerbook drive to unmount it from the iMac desktop and press the power button on the powerbook to reboot.

4. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

peer to peer network to share internet connection to PC

Can someone comment on how to set up the peer to peer network between Windose XP PC and Mac (iBook or PB). My work PC (XP PC) has the Spring WAN card and I would like to use that PC's internet connection for my Mac I tug around. I can do "connect to server" to have an access to this PC from Macs (in my home network whose hub is Belkin Wireless G unit). But, I have yet to find the way to set up the peer to peer network using the Win XP PC as the hub outside home.

5. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

That's because what you are talking about is not a peer to peer network. It is called a Virtual Private Network (VPN).