Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Hi. I wonder if there are any iPad users who have some sort of a subscription to a newspaper or magazine service like NYT or Time. Do these apps require you to have an Internet connection in order to read their material, or can you download stuff in advance and read on the go? Thanks in advance!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hi. I wonder if there are any iPad users who have some sort of a subscription to a newspaper or magazine service like NYT or Time. Do these apps require you to have an Internet connection in order to read their material, or can you download stuff in advance and read on the go? Thanks in advance!
Most newspaper and magazine apps are designed for online reading of content. The New York Times is certainly in the group that requires an Internet connection. If you want to read content offline, then you should go through Zinio.

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
I use PressReader App and subscribe and download newspapers daily.

You do not need and internet connection to read newspapers that you have already downloaded to it.

Davydd

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
Minnesota
With the NYTimes app you need an internet connection to update but then you can read offline. You need to open each section to update but you don't have to open each article. But unless you open each article you will not get the accompanying pictures. USAToday works the same. When traveling I will stop at a McDonalds in the morning and update my news apps and then read in the car traveling down the highway when my wife is driving. It takes about 5 minutes to update the two. Many of the news apps are similar.

I also subscribe to the Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper. That app is a facsimile of the actual printed newspaper so has to be downloaded while connected to the internet. Once downloaded it is readable at any time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.