Question about OS9.2 Install

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by timnosenzo, Nov 4, 2004.

1. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Hello-

I tried the search without much luck. I have a 550Mhz PBook that came installed with OS 10.1 and OS 9.2. I recently wiped out the HDD and reinstalled OS 10.3 and I am trying to install OS 9.2 but it's not working. When I boot from the OS 9 CD it says that I can't install on the HDD because it can't be installed over the existing OS (10.3).

I read somewhere that I may have to use the restore CD's that came with it, but they're bootable and want me to wipe out my HDD.

So essentially my question is, how do I install OS 9.2 on a single partition with OS 10.3? :confused:

Thanks for any help!!

Tim

2. tj2001 macrumors regular

Can't Quite Remember...

I do recall this issue and funny thing is I too need the fix.
    I remember once reading, somewhere or another, that it's possible to pop a OS 9 disc in and copy (drag & drop) specific files and then that is what is needed for "Classic" mode.

I do apologize if this is no help.. I will see if I can hunt down the specific info for this :)

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...one very important thing - if you want to *boot* into OS 9 you need to have selected "install OS 9" drivers when you installed 10.3 after wiping the drive....oh yeah!

4. tj2001 macrumors regular

How can I check if this was done?

No one has any info in the copying method for OS9?! Or links?

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I thought you needed to install OS 9.2 first, if you wanted a true OS 9 system and not classic. Then you install Panther, with the OS 9 drivers and stuff checked...

I dunno. :confused:

6. timnosenzo thread starter macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I actually tried this, but when Classic tried to start, it basically gave me an error message saying it had to be "installed". :cool:

7. timnosenzo thread starter macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

This I actually did do! :)

8. timnosenzo thread starter macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I think you might be right, which really sucks. :eek:

9. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

what if all you want is to be able to run classic mode? i don't want to boot into os 9 at all (as snappy as it was, its just so ugly in comparison!)

I'm in a very similar situation. Got a completely clean HD, went straight to OS 10.2 without installing 9 again. I've got the software install and software restore cds that came with my iMac 500mhz. I just tried copying the system folder onto my hd, but classic startup didn't seem to like that.

Somebody please help, i wanna play tony hawk 2 again!

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Classic is MacOS 9.2. There is nothing special about installing Classic. If your computer can't boot MacOS 9, then you have to copy an installation from another computer to yours or extract it from the System Restore Disk that shipped with your computer.

11. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Okay so basically I have os 10.2.8 running right now, with no traces of os 9 anywhere. How do i instal os 9 using the software cds that came with this computer? Can i just copy certain files onto the hard drive? or do i need to boot up from the cd and run the installer? If that's the case, do i have to worry about the installer messing with my osX? Or will i just need to select the start up volume in the control panel?

Thanks for your help.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I don't screw-up my computer, so that I never have to wipe my original installation. However, you don't need to boot the CD. In fact, you should not boot the System Restore CD because you don't want to wipe your hard drive. There is a disk image file on that contains the Classic environment. Mount that .dmg file and drag the MacOS 9 System Folder to the root level of your hard drive. There should also be a folder named Applications (MacOS 9). This folder should also be dragged to the root level of your hard drive.

13. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

thanks buddy, i didn't really know what you were talking about as far as the disk image goes. but apparently all i was missing was the apps folder, before i only copied the system folder. thanks for pointing that out.

its good to know you don't screw up your computer, keep up the good work.

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I had this issue before, and it's very easy to fix. Just do a clean install of Mac OS 9, and all will be well. You won't lose any of your data, nor does anything happen to your installation of Mac OS X. Clean install can be found in the options dialog, which can be brought up by clicking the Options button in the installer program.

15. niggiebro macrumors member

niggiebro

Yeah that's what I did... I loaded my OS 9 disk then restarted my system and chose a clean install on the same drive on the same partition. Nothing was lost and all my apps that ran in classic mode installed just fine...in facted I think it's pretty cool to see OS 9 open and run on my desktop when I launch a classic app. :D :D :D

Good Luck!

16. niggiebro macrumors member

niggiebro

Yeah I also read on Apple's site some where in the Firmware upgrade area, that you had to install OS 9 first before installing OS X, but go figure!!! :p