Question about Panther clean install and classic

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Bhennies, May 18, 2004.

1. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Hello everyone, sorry if this is a stupid question. I just had to erase and reinstall Panther (mail, Safari and address book were corrupted) and I realized I forgot to install classic or os9 drivers. Is this going to cause any sort of trouble for me in the future? I don't use any os9 programs, but I remember getting an error message when installing Illustrator that it could not detect a classic environment. Is this ok? Can I install it down the road if necessary without losing all my programs and files? Thanks!

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

You can install it latert with no problem, but I do not believe the Panther disks have the Classic files on them.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

if it the panther disc that came originally with a new Mac, then it will have Classic.

if it's just an upgrade or separate purchase, then it will not, since the $129 price tag is for OS X.3, not OS X.3 and OS 9.2.2, which is Classic. Classic should be in the original CDs that came with the machine when you bought it...

4. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi...yes it's a brand new powerbook so it should have classic. I'm wondering if it even matters whether or not I have it installed? Especially since I don't use it ever- will there be operational problems with certain programs?

5. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    i highly doubt that any new program you buy will have ANY classic dependancies. I don't have classic installed, and my PB runs fine.

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

same here. when i upgraded to panther from jaguar, i didn't bother installing classic and it's been fine.

i might install it back, as we are comtemplating throwing away my gf's mac lc ii. just for nostalgia sake, i might download all of that machine's HD onto my machine so she can play with it under classic...

7. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

cool...that's exactly the response I needed- no headache with a reinstall. Thanks guys!