question about parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by twoodcc, Feb 10, 2007.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

do you still need antivirus stuff with it? sorry, i just don't know that much about virtualization

2. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

Yes, you will want to install the antivirus software on the XP or Vista partitian. You will be running a virutal Windows Machine, with all it's nasty suseptibility to windows bugs. Keep the patches up to date.

I run parallels, and have Macafee running on the PC side. I have not installed Mac antivirus software. Some folks do, as even though the Mac won't be affected, you could pass along an infected file you received back to a windows machine.

3. Axegrinder macrumors regular

Axegrinder

I use parallels for SQL Server 2005 and .Net development but I keep network access disabled so that Windows can never access the internet. Therefore I don't need anti-virus or a firewall which I guess helps performance a little bit but obviously if you do need internet access from Windows then yes you'll need it.

4. SupadudeX macrumors member

But viruses in your virutal machine wont be able to affect your real machine partition. You can also make backups of your entire virutal machine pretty easy and revert back if something goes wrong.

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, that's what i wanted to hear :)