Question about partitions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jbbutters, Nov 2, 2006.

1. jbbutters macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about making the jump into buying a 20"inch iMac tommorow from CompUSA but I'm going to need an XP with bootcamp if I do get one. Heres a question. Say I make a 50-100 gb partition for Windows. Will I be able to access the movie/whatever files I have on the Windows partition on OSX as well as the opposite? Or are they completely hidden from each other?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

OS X can read both NTFS and FAT32 and can write to FAT32. XP can't make a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB, so you'd have to work around that to make a larger FAT32 partition.

Windows can't see the HFS+ (Mac) partitions without MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com).

IMHO, the best solution is to keep shared files on an external FAT32 formatted drive. Or, if you're going to use XP a lot, remove OS X from the internal and have it on an external drive only.

B

3. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Flash drives work well for sharing files. This might not be enough for your needs if you're going to be sharing a lot of files though.