Question about pictures in Entourage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markw10, Nov 18, 2006.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    I use Entourage a lot for email and the only thing I don't like about it vs. Outlook is when a email comes in it never shows any of the pictures. I have to click on a link at the top of the email to show pictures. outlook has this option but as well has an option to turn it on by default to download pictures. Is there a feature like this on Entourage?
  2. rstorm macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Check your pref's. Under security make sure the "automatically download pictures" is checked.
  3. BrewsterMccloud macrumors member

Feb 15, 2005
    Entourage> Preferences> Mail and News Preferences> View> Messages> Show attached pictures and movies in messages

(Typical Microsoft usability)
  4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    Mountain View, CA USA
    In Entourage 2004, this only works for people who are in your address book. This means that you might want to add some other entries to your address book that you might not otherwise. For example, I've got a couple of Apple email addresses in mine so that the ADC emails automatically download their pictures.

Well, speaking as the user experience researcher (which is what we call usability engineers here) who works on Entourage, I can at least explain this a bit more. I'll add the minor disclaimer that I wasn't with Microsoft when Entourage 2004 came out, so you can't blame me for it! ;)

I wrote a long entry in my blog about it earlier this year, and you can read the whole thing if you really want. The title of this entry is security versus usability, and the title pretty much sums up the issue.

The problem with pictures in email messages is that they are used by spammers to get a lot of information about you that you probably don't want spammers to have. When you download that picture, the server gets a lot of information about you: what you used to download the picture, your IP address, your email address (which confirms that it's an active email address -- this is gold to spammers), and lots more. Spammers use this information to send you more spam. Check out this graph from a spam blacklister that shows how much spam is sent out.

We know that it impacts your short-term user experience, but we had to make the trade-off between usability and security. The pref that's listed above is a way to give you some control over the pictures that you download without giving out information to the spammers. I wouldn't call it a perfect solution, but it's the one we've got. If you think that there's a better way to do it, you can send us some product feedback to tell us what you think we should do.

Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher
    Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit
    go ahead, mac my day
  5. Lershac macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA USA

Well speaking as an end user and paying customer... I like to have the option to freaking decide for myself whether to take the risk or not. Your making it for me is a little too "nannying" . I have submitted feedback that this should be a user settable preference.