Question about plugging monitor into a 12" powerbook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ryan McCanical, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Ryan McCanical macrumors newbie

If I understand correctly, you are able to plug a monitor into any of the powerbooks so that the screen is either extended onto it, or you can just use the other screen. Now, if I were to buy the 12" powerbook with a max resolution of 1024x768, If i plug in a 17" monitor that is capable of more, will I be able to change it to a smaller resolution? The resolution is the only thing stopping me from buying these beauties!

2. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Well, wait no more! You can use diferent resolution on each screen. The PB handle it very well in my case (19" at 1200*1000). Only time I have to close the lid is when playing games, rest of the time I am using dual monitor.

Btw, if you are located near montreal, canada, I am currently looking to sell my PB: I need a G5 for my project... :eek:

3. cait-sith macrumors regular

the vid output is an exact mirror of the screen contents -- you are limited to the maximum laptop screen resolution.

you'd figure it would not work like this, but it does.

edit: apparantly i'm wrong, unless it's an ibook thing.

4. Mantat macrumors 6502a

There are some hack availlable to allow the iBook to do dual screen too, same for eMac (dont know for the iMac). I dont have the link at hand but shouldnt be hard to find on google.

5. cait-sith macrumors regular

wow, you can do a dual monitor hack for the emac? i'll have to look that up...

6. Ryan McCanical thread starter macrumors newbie

So wait...

I could plug it into a larger monitor and it can easily be set up as a different resolution? Can i hack the 12" to use a larger resolution as well? I only need it once in a blue moon when I use computers for Flash and Photoshop.

7. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

here's how it is with my ibook, so i will assume that it would work the same for a powerbook (though that might not be a good assumption...).

when mirroring, the second monitor displays at the same resolution as the laptop monitor. this would make sense, or things would not be mirrored properly.

after being hacked to span, the two monitors are adjusted separately through the display system preferences. my second monitor is running at 1600x1200 which is well above the 1024x768 the ibook monitor supports.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My 15" TiBook will mirror, or it will span. In spanning mode it will drive the big 23" Cinima Display at its native resolution of 1920x1200. I believe the 12" PB will do the same. The iBook is a different story. Apple deliberatly cripples the video card to keep a distinction between their pro and consumer computers. My wife's 12" iBook (800Mhz G4 version) will only support mirroring at 1024x768 which is it's max built-in screen resolution. There are hacks available to change that, but that's another thread...

9. Ryan McCanical thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help. I'm heading to the Apple store tommorrow after a call to see what they have in stock.