Question about (Possible ibook Upgrade) vs. Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BKKloppenborg, May 6, 2005.

1. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

Ok i found out the ibook updates might be

From what someone said on the forum "friend at Apple told me, iBooks are getting a minor revision."

G4 1.33Ghz 12" / G4 1.4Ghz 14"
    Radeon 9600 64MB
    30GB Drive (Low End)
    512MB Ram (Still 266mhz)
    4200 RPM Drives

would be getting the one with 14" screen so 1.4ghz..

Is it worth it just to get this one for 200 dollers cheaper?

Powerbook one is
    12.1-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    1.5GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    60GB Hard Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce FX
    Go5200 (64MB DDR)
    Full size keyboard
    10/100BASE-T Ethernet
    FireWire 400
    Analog audio in/out
    Mini-DVI out

The only main reason i was going to get powerbook was for Videoram and ram.. I know powerbook has more features, but i am on a buget and 200 dollers i would probaly have to wait another week to save compared to powerbook which **** i could probaly buy now over the phone because i have it now..

Anyone tried a ibook compared to powerbook any noticable speed difference?
    Powerbook has more ports compared to ibook but it has all i need USB, 10/100 ethernet, and does it have 56k? I also know Harddrive spins faster then ibook...

I wonder how long it will take them to update them?

So ibook- .1 less in speed, lower hardrive speed i think 4400 to 5400, Less ports, less features like SMS, and thats it.. but better deal and 14" screen compared to 12.1

Powerbook= more expensive faster HD, Little faster proccsor, more features, ports... But is it worth 200 dollers more if ibooks are updated like above? Smaller screen 12.1 compared to 14"

I think on my PC laptop now its 14" and so i think 12.1" would be kinda small...

Promise this is last question until next one says OMG SO HAPPY GOT NEW ______(Laptpop either ibook or Powerbook) and i will tell you guys how happy i am and blah blah blah. :D

2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I am sorry to say that you might be jumping to conclusions too readily based on chasingapple's previous post about his friend. I'm not trying to slam you, or chasingapple, I'm just saying that's a rumor of a rumor.

Also, the only ports different on a 12" PB are audio-in and mini-DVI-out instead of video-out.

3. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

thats true that is why i said "Posible" lol but if they do then its going to be hard to decide if not then its Powerbook...

P.S. Audio-In is for Speakers and stuff like that and i have NO idea what mini-DVI or VIdeo-Out is for a Screen right?

4. auxplage macrumors 6502

Well, there are the same number of pixels, so if you like big pixels, then the 14" will be fine. Personally, I hate the big pixels.

5. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

The audio line in port is for capturing audio, as with an external mic. There are devices that can attach to a computer to do this, but this feature is built-in on the PowerBook. This is not to be confused with the built-in mic on both machines.

DVI is a way to connect displays. The Apple Cinema Displays, for example, use DVI. PowerBooks can connect to displays using DVI, ADC, VGA, S-video and composite. iBooks, the last 3 of these. Others here can give you more detailed explanations, because I can't; but basically, DVI is better.

None of this should necessarily make any difference to you in your purchase decision, that's up to you.