Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2001
NY
I am thinking about buying a powerbook, and I just wanted to know if you can plug iti into a tv with the vga port. I think it is called video mirroring. Anyway, does anybody know if you can do that? Thanks again.

Mighty Mac

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2002
I think you can. I read on another post that it works just by pluging the computer into the tv. It was the pc migration to mac thred if you want to read up on it.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
TiBook connected to TV

u can connect it to the tv via the video s output....it's not very good picture quality though....

if u want to use video mirroring I think u will have to resort to an external monitor...

zorglub

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2002
Paris France
you can connect to tv (S.VHS connector) in mirroring mode or in "desktop extension mode", and the same modes with your VGA connector to a monitor or a VGA equiped tv set. Maybe some limitations or restrictions in mirroring mode.
z:)

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
tv mirroring

When you use tv mirroring, it will change your laptop screen to 640x480 because that is the size of the televison screen.
The only problem i see is that it rearranges any icons on your screen.

astronun

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2001
PowerBook video

The current Rev of Powerbooks sport a hardware accelerated external video
This workd best with video mirroring but does a great job on extended desktop. To get the best results set the color depth to the same for both monitors. This will allow the video card to speed the data to both displays at the same time.

This will work with both S-video and VGA.
OS X does not support DVD playback thru S-Video if that is what your gonna use it for.

shergar

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
London
Powerbook upgrade

yep, apparently it's quite easy to upgrade from a G3 PB to a spanking new G4 one: sell you old powerbook on ebay for about half what you paid for it a year ago, save up a bit more money and then go buy a new powerbook at the Apple Store. Correct me if I'm wrong technical people, but i believe this is the only way...:)

Ouroboros

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2002
Oakland, CA
Great. After getting back from the Palo Alto Apple Store, I just found out that you can't use Apple's LCD Displays in conjunction with the TiBook for video spanning. NOT EVEN with the DVI adaptor thingy that Dr. Bott has. So I have to use a monitor, an old large CRT. Just a heads up people.

Hopefully Apple will one day make a change with the video to allow this. Otherwise, the PB is very cool indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.