Question about Print & Scan in System Preferences

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Big Byte, Jan 10, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2009
    Hello, I'm using an early 2012 13" MacBook Pro, which is running OS X 10.7.5. The Print & Scan option in System Preferences allows a user to receive faxes on their computer; I would like to do this, but I am having difficulty setting this up. These are the boxes I have checked off:

1) Receive faxes on this computer (which allows me to check off the following boxes);
    2) Save to (faxes, not shared faxes);
    3) Email to (my email address).

I have not checked off the "Print to" box. However, despite doing this, my faxes are still being received on my fax machine (an HP Color LaserJet CM2320).

Am I setting this up correctly? If not, any suggestions as to how to do so?

If this is in the wrong forum section, I ask that the mods please move it to the proper one.

2. thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm still fiddling with this and trying to figure it out. Is it possible that I can't receive faxes by email because I have wirelessly connected my printer/fax/scanner to my MBP? Maybe I need to have the modem connected directly to my MBP? I don't know. Still waiting for some much needed help. Thanks.
  3. macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I may be incorrect, but I think to receive faxes, you have to have your Mac connected directly by phone line.
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm thinking you may be correct. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try.