Question about printing wirelessly

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacManiac1224, May 13, 2003.

1. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

I have an iMac, and a usb printer connected to it, I am about to buy an iBook, and I want my iBook to use that printer through my iMac. How do I do that? I am not sure what wireless access point to buy, but I don't want to buy Apple's(too expensive), do you guys have any ideas?

2. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Well, if you have an airport card installed in each computer you can turn priter sharing on in the sharing pane of the system prefs. You don't necessarily need any type of wirless access point. Just a couple airport cards.

Matt

edit: you can also use the airport card in the iMac to share your internet connection wirelessly. That's assuming that the iMac is hardwired to the internet from a modem or something.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

agreed, your cheapest solution is to buy an airport card for your imac and your ibook, you will be able to print from either computer as long as both run OS X. As an added bonus, you won't need to buy an access point at all and you will be able to have the imac broadcast the wireless signal that your ibook will use. I believe that you must make sure to turn on only the firewall on the first computer, all "downstream" firewalls should be left off.

4. MacManiac1224 thread starter macrumors regular

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

sure, but why? the iMac will function as an access point for you, but regardless you can still get an access point for wireless and wired connections, and still share your printer connected to the iMac as long as both are osX.

6. MacManiac1224 thread starter macrumors regular