question about processor upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MS bulldog, Jun 12, 2006.

1. MS bulldog macrumors regular

saw this posted on another forum...can anyone confirm or dispel this statement? it is in reference to the core solo to core duo and possible merom upgrade.

i was contemplating buying the solo with future intent to upgrade, so i was wondering if the above is true.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think we need a study on the fan differences between the Mini Core Solo and Duo first.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's certainly reasonable that the original designers of any closed box equipment never expected parts to be upgraded and therefore, didn't account for that in the specifications.

Most technology is built with a safety margin but going from single to dual core/processors is a bit dangerous.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I sincerely doubt there is any difference between the heatsink/fans in the Solos vs. the Duos. Just having to design and keep track of two similar heatsinks would add more cost than just using the same one for both.... (I could be wrong though).

The kernel of truth in the warning may be that the heatsink is sized for the 1.63 Duo and won't deliver enough air flow to keep anything faster cool, so don't expect to put a 2.16 in a mini and keep it as cool as a 1.5 Solo...

Of course someone will make a copper heatsink with a better fan available for upgrades if they haven't already...

B