Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tennyo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2008
So I've heard that the restrictions on songs purchased from the iTunes store will be lifted completely so that iTunes may continue to compete in the market. Does this mean that there will be a new version of iTunes released that overrides the restrictions on songs that have already been purchased?

This is the main reason why I never really downloaded much from iTunes and it would be nice for the restrictions to be gone completely.

Also, does this change also mean that the file format of the songs will change to the more universal mp3?

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Not quite.

The restrictions will always be in place for DRM-protected content purchased from the iTunes Store.

However the restrictions will not be relevent for new iTunes Plus content (DRM-free). Most music in the store is now DRM free, and it is all supposed to be that way I believe by March. Also, if you pay to upgrade your protected tracks to iTunes Plus you get the same benefit.

Tennyo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Whoa a lot of that just went over my head. :/

So you are saying that past songs are still protected unless I pay to get iTunes Plus?

mreed911

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Not restricted, protected, as in copy-protected.

You can still listen to them, and you can still burn them to an audio CD.

Gyrferret

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Mhm. Indeed.

Still annoyed that I have to "iTunes Plus" them in one go, rather than on an individual basis......

Tennyo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2008
LAME.

Come on no restrictions at all!

I mean, what is the point of iTunes+?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.