question about purchasing an ipod

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ecuares, Jun 19, 2003.

1. ecuares macrumors newbie

Hi recently purchased a new powerbook and now plan on purchasing an ipod to complement it. Yet i hear that the ipod battery diminishes after 1-2 years. Does this hold true for the newer models becuase i certainly don't want to shell out $400 dollars for a product that lasts only a year. Anyhow what would you guys do if you were in my position?

1. Purchase the ipod from the apple education store. I am a grad student btw. ($270 total) I think this would limit my warranty to 1 year only.

2. Purchase the ipod from BestBuy with the 4 year extended warranty. For those of you who don't know, BestBuy offers an extended warranty to buyers for an extra $40. ($340 + tax) I think this takes into account the ipods diminishing battery life. A friend told me that BestBuy replaces the ipod if anything goes wrong with it within the 4 year time span. He in fact was given the new model after he claimed that his battery had drained from his older version ipod.

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards option 2 but i would like some extra opinions.

Thanks!

2. unc32 macrumors regular

Considering they have only been out for 1 year it is tough to say. Some people have reported battery problems and other haven't. Mine has been working great for 1 year. There is an educational promotion right now if you buy a computer and ipod you get 200 dollars off. Check out the educational apple store. It is good until september. I am planning on using that when I get my new laptop in the fall.