Question about RAM choices

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Sauerkraut, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Sauerkraut macrumors newbie

I want to upgrade my iMac G5 from 256MB RAM to 2GB. I've been looking at both crucial.com and memoryx.net for RAM. My question is whether their really is any difference or advantage for me to buy the Samsung RAM from memoryx.net for $599.98 rather than the Crucial RAM from crucial.com for $504.38? Thanks.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No. Be sure to check Kingston and OWC (Other World Computing) as well. Any reputable dealer with a lifetime guarantee will do fine.

3. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

I doubt there will be any advantage.. crucial is expensive as is and is top notch .. no need to spend even more on it .. especially with the iMac not taking advantage of matching sticks ..

I just had a quick glance at dealram.com and a set of 2x1GB OCZ ram is just under $400 .. make crucial prices insane .. OCZ is a respected brand in the PC overclocking world btw ..

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm pretty sure it (iMac G5) does take advantage of matching sticks, doesn't it?

5. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Poo poo apps like Xbench show an increase but real life apps don't according to the mad scientists : http://www.barefeats.com/imacg5d.html