Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tramp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
So... a week or so ago I ordered a refurbished MacBook (white, 2.0 ghz), a refurbished iPod, a printer, and some other fun stuff from Apple. These are all the first things I've ever gotten from them, so yeah.

ANYWAYS. The MacBook is very nice. But the first thing the iPod did was to not work. Yayyy. It seemed perfectly fine until I plugged it into my MacBook. And then it... didn't do anything. The computer seemed to have no idea it was plugged in, and neither did the iPod. No charging, no syncing with iTunes. Nothing.

So, today I got the chance to call and talk with support. First, they were kind of rude, which was annoying. Especially considering I am always nice to tech support, because I know how awful their jobs are. They could at least save the rudeness for someone a bit more deserving, yeah? But that's really not the point.

Anyways, I did what she asked for a while and plugged the iPod into various USB ports, flicked it on and off, reset it, rebooted it, tra-la-la. Told her that I thought it was probably the USB cord (though she completely ignored me there). Finally she gave me a repair tracking number and told me how long it would be until they sent me a new one.

So, basically. She said that I would send mine in, and then in a week or two they'd send me a new one. Which is cool except for the inconveince and waiting. But what I'm worried about is that it is the USB cord, and that the new one they'll send me will be sans cord and things (as I'm not sending the cord and all on mine in) and that is IS and issue with the cord and I'll have gone through all that hassel for nothing.

So, people who have had repairs like this? Do they send you a model with all the cords and extraneous junk? Or just a new iPod it's self?

Also, I'm sorry if I sound like I'm complaining or bashing Apple or whatever will bring down wrath upon me. I've just had a really awful week, and this is sort of the icing on the cake. So I'm understandably put out that pretty much the first thing I got from Apple didn't work. And now it's going to be like two weeks before I get a new one. Which also may not work.

Yeahhh. Whine bitch complain, etc.

I do like the MacBook though.

Tramp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
I'm pretty isolated. One of my friends does have one, but I rarely get to see them.

I thought about going to this place downtown that carries Mac and has a Mac Users Group, but they're kind of incredibly snobby.

Tramp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
But...

Will they send me a whole new thing? Or just the iPod Nano?

Surely someone on here has had an iPod repaired?

I mean, will I get another USB cord?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
But...

Will they send me a whole new thing? Or just the iPod Nano?

Surely someone on here has had an iPod repaired?

I mean, will I get another USB cord?

you're going to have to call them to verify....

unless they instructed you to NOT send the usb cable, then I would think they're expecting you to send back everything, and you would expect them to send a new ipod just as it came from the store

Tramp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
They instructed me to send ONLY the iPod.

Which is why I am worried.

Tramp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Err, that's what I'm doing.But are they going to send ONLY and iPod back, or an iPod and a USB cable, and all that other iPod-y stuff?

Because if it's just the USB cable, and all they send back is an iPod, then the USB cable will STILL be broken and I will be out a lot of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.