Question about replacing screen on intel imac...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nospleen, Aug 21, 2006.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Hello,

I came home from work today to find out that my son, 2 1/2, decided to hack at my iMac screen with a pen. There are about three pen hole marks on the screen, indented and all. He is a strong little guy after all. My question is, is the exposed portion of the screen the actual screen, or a protector? If it is a protector, can it be replaced, and for how much? If it is the screen, how much is a new screen? (20" btw)

The screen works fine, but I find the pen holes about 20 times more distracting than a dead pixel.

Ahh the joys of getting a little one just like you!!

Thanks in advance...

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Talk to Apple for a repair, you are looking at around 200-400 (it depends) for the screen, then some more for the repair and finally shipping...

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Talk to an Apple reseller or repair shop, maybe someone will be willing to order you the part then you can try and fix it yourself. You'd have to use a lot of charm though because I don't think you can simply order parts yourself normally.

4. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

So is the exposed part of the screen a part of the screen itself, or simply a protector?

5. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

This is what it looks like...

Attached Files:

6. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

And I have located the perp....

It is so hard to stay mad at that face.

Attached Files:

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Note to self. Remove all writing implements from around the iMac and HDTV.

I'm glad my boys (3 & 5) haven't tried that stunt. I catch them every so often just about to poke the screen.

I also cleaned a cat print off of our HDTV the other day. Don't know how or when the cat got up there... (Note to self again: trim the cat's claws).

B

8. Faraday macrumors member

The exposed part of the screen is front of the LCD panel itself. There is no protective cover over the LCD.

9. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Yeah, the crazy thing is that we have had an imac out since he was born. I guess his little mind is starting to work overtime now. :eek: I am annoyed too, because the imac display had imperfections in the screen when I bought it. I bought it refurb and there are two spots under the screen that I have no idea what they are. I figured that one day I would run it up to the Apple store and they would replace it. But now, they would think I did it....

10. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Crap, I was afraid of that.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In case you want to try it yourself, here's a disassembly guide http://home.comcast.net/~woojo/.

B

12. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Where can I buy the screen, or one that will work?

13. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    From the looks of the picture I don't think you NEED to replace it. Unless there is some harm in there being a hole in the LCD? Does the liquid ooze out? :confused: :)

It looks like your kid might be a PC-enthusiast :eek:

14. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

No need to replace it, except that it will drive me nuts. :p My kid a PC-enthusiast!?!? If he didn't look just like me I would start worrying! :eek: :D

15. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Maybe this is a good excuse to tell the wife we should buy that 23" ACD I have been eyeing! ;)

16. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I just saw the cinema displays for the first time last weekend. I saw the 23" and was amazed. I thought it was the 30". Then I saw the 30" and was AMAZED. Looks so much bigger than 30".

Then I went over to look at the 17" iMac which is what I was really interested in and it looked small, unfortunately by comparison! Had I not seen the 30" first I'm sure it would have looked plenty big.