Question about restoring from Time Machine Backup on new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jonhcox, Jan 16, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Hi All,

I just purchased a new Macbook Pro. I want to use my Time Machine backup to restore my new Mac. Here's the problem: I have a version of CS5 that I bought with a former colleague when we were working together on freelance jobs. He has the installation software and I haven't talked with him in a couple of years so I don't know if I can get the software back to reinstall. I basically paid him for my license. I don't know if he registered it either.

I'm giving my older Macbook Pro to my parents so I want to be sure my backup will let me use CS5 on my new Mac. What issues might I run into when I go to use it? I found the serial number by going to Photoshop and clicking System Info. No idea as to what to expect as it's my first time using Time Machine.

Thanks for any and all help.

2. macrumors 6502

AT06

You shouldn't have any issues with this. You should just be able to restore the new machine from your time machine backup, and it may ask you to resubmit your registration key. Just in case, I would make a desk image using SuperDuper so that you can do a perfect reinstall if anything goes badly wrong.