Question about revision and buying advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by blehpunk, Dec 3, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

May 3, 2005
    Can anyone break down the revisions for me? or more specifically, I was looking to buy a refurb FB543LL/A MacBook Air 1.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 120GB SATA hard drive and wondering if it has any major problems? (especially with the battery and hinges)

I already have a 15" MBP C2D 2.33 Ghz but I'm starting a new PhD program in the UK in a month (im in the US right now) and thought a MBA would be more easy to port to school. It's way more expensive in the UK, so I was thinking about getting it now.

Any advice?

2. macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2009
  3. macrumors 604

Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
  4. macrumors 65816

Sep 28, 2007
    I was recently going through many of the same issues... check out my thread, and see if there is any overlap:

BTW, I just got a 1.86GHZ w/SSD for only $1350 and a free printer from Mac Mall. The link to that deal is in the thread linked above.

Good luck!
  5. macrumors 6502a

Nov 10, 2008
    The MBA is a super mobile experience in many ways. But some things to think about:

- How long will you be using the MBA away from AC power? It has a non removable battery, about 3 hours of battery life (+/- 1 hr) and charges very slowly. If you need to be on battery power all day you need one of the new 7hr 13" MBP's.
    - How much number crunching will you need to do on the MBA for your PHD. Its cpu is modest powerwise.
    - How much data volume and data analysis will you be doing? Its HD is not very large and is very slow.

If you can live within a MBA's limitations its a fantastic machine. But it will chafe at you daily if your needs outstrip its limitations.

If it helps I left a RevA MBA 1.6/2/80 due to capacity issues for a uMB 2.4/4/320 and am now going back to a RevC MBA 2.13/2/128 to get back that fantastic MBA mobility experience.
  6. thread starter macrumors regular

May 3, 2005
    Thanks everyone, especially for the link to the other topic. After tax I can get the faster processor and solid state hard drive for only like $150 more.

Luckily I'm going to school for fine art, so I have no use for math or heavy data use. I will still use my MBP for editing video and photoshop. But I can use the MBA for taking notes in lectures and projecting videos and images when I give lectures, and basic email and web browsing.
  7. thread starter macrumors regular

May 3, 2005
    oh wait, except im in CA so i still have to pay tax