question about rosetta

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by derajfast, Jan 28, 2006.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

im planning on upgrading to a MBP in the next few months, but one of the programs i use a lot (handbrake) is not in univ binaries yet

i know handbrake is a very processor intensive program. so would running it under rosetta slow the speed of backing up the dvd a lot (how many fps you can get while ripping it), or would just the responsiveness of the actual program decline under rosetta

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Check this thread out:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=175030&highlight=imac+intel+handbrake

Looks like the Handbrake people are moving quickly to embrace the Intel Core Duo.... Hopefully, by the time you need it, it'll be ready.

I don't have a Mactel, but the consensus seems to be that the Core Duo Macs perform on a level roughly on par with a high-end G4 in this kind of condition, particularly assuming you give them lots of ram (well north of 1 gig).

In other words, your iMac will probably be somewhat faster with Handbrake, and your laptop somewhat slower, in comparison to a MBP loaded with ram....

3. matperk macrumors 6502

there's already an intel version of handbrake. it works but it's not optimized yet, but even not optimized, it runs extremely fast on the new Intels. I tried it out personally and was getting better than real time h.264 encoding.

4. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

damn, how many FPS were yuo getting under h264?

5. matperk macrumors 6502

We peaked at around 40fps on the LOTR movie. It was on the 20" iMac--2ghz, 512mb ram.

6. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

Check the handbrake website, the developer states that he has released a beta of the universal binary and will release a final version within the next few months.