Question about Router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by volcomsurf, Aug 6, 2005.

1. volcomsurf macrumors newbie

Okay, someone told me that I had to have an Airport card in order to hook up two computers (Dell PC & G3 iMac) to a Linksys B Router. Is this true? If it is then I might as well sell the iMac because I'm not willing to spend a lot of money to get my iMac to the internet. All I would like to know is can I just hook up a router to the cable modem and run lines to the Dell and G3 iMac? Do I really need an Airport card? Thanks.

2. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

You'd need an aiport card for wireless internet. All you need is the router.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You can run Ethernet cables from a Cable/DSL router to both a Mac and a PC -- as long as the router has 2 free ethernet jacks on it (very few routers don't have a hub built in)-- is that your question?

4. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

i think the answer for this is u do not need an airport card. "can I just hook up a router to the cable modem and run lines to the Dell and G3 iMac" i think u already have an idea about the solution.

My recomendations,
    Solution 1,
    Get the wireless router u told me u want to buy and get an airport card for the mac and i assume ur windows can recieve wireless internet connection.

Solution2,
    Get a normal router, two ethernet cables.