Question about Screensaver as desktop...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Datazoid, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Datazoid macrumors regular

May 10, 2002
    Im finding it impossible to get decent performance out of my system running a screensaver (in this case, Fluid, but I've also tried Marine Aquarium, to no avail). Not only are the screensaver effects slow as mud, but launching programs is an arduous task, and dragging icons, windows, etc, even dock icons bouncing causes artifacts to be left and the screen effect to freeze. I've read reports that would lead me to believe I should be able to run this with no problem, but maybe I'm expecting a bit too much of my system. By the way, Im using an 800mHz iMac (17"). Not really a big deal, but just wondering if there is anything I can do, or if my system is just not fast enough to handle it...

[edit] By the way, I have 768 MB RAM on my system. Also, ScreenSaverEngine seems to be taking up ~50% of CPU, more or this normal? Shouldn't it be using QE (OpenGL)? [/edit]
  2. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2002
    running a screensaver as desktop (ESPECIALLY the resource draining "fluid") is never an easy task for most processors. I have a Dual 867 Powermac with a gig of ram and an nvidia 64mb card, and it STILL slows my system down. Dont worry about it.... :D