Question about sharing apps with family members.

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Sounds Good, Mar 21, 2011.

1. macrumors 68000

Jul 8, 2007
    Hi guys,

I have a specific question about sharing apps with family members. We have 3 devices and currently all use one iTunes account on one computer. (this may change, but right now that's how we do it)

Let's say we each want a particular app that I've already paid for. If I try to purchase an app on our iPod Touch that I already purchased on my iPhone 4, will I get charged again? Is iTunes smart enough to know that my account already paid for this app? Or do I have to sync my iPhone after making the purchase, then sync the other devices and select that app?

I know this question is a bit confusing, I hope it makes sense to someone! :)

2. macrumors member

Jun 15, 2005
    It's based on your iTunes account, so you shouldn't be charged again. In the past, I've downloaded a purchased app in iTunes before syncing my phone and was not charged a second time. Hope this helps.
  3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Jul 8, 2007
    Excellent. Thanks! :)
  4. macrumors 68030

Dec 24, 2010
    Olympia, WA
    Yep, this works :). It's not obvious though - you have to go and "buy" the app again. Only then will it display a message that says it's already been purchased. It'll ask if you want to 'redownload.'
  5. thread starter macrumors 68000

Jul 8, 2007
    I had a feeling it might be this... but didn't wanna pay twice (just in case).

6. macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2007
    Lichfield UK
    If you're not sure whether you bought an app or not, try to leave a review - it will only let you review apps you've bought.