Question About sharing itunes libraries

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tangerineyum, Mar 7, 2005.

1. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2005
    Ontario, CA
    Hello all, I just bought my mom an ipod shuffle and an emac. I use the emac to store my music and share it with my ibook, my primary computer. I have all the music stored under my account and my mother has her own user account. Is there a way to share my music library with her with out having to copy the whole 18 gigs to her home folder so she can use it with her shuffle or should i just delete my user account and leave hers as the admin. account.
  2. jim. macrumors 6502

Dec 22, 2004
    C-ville, VA
    I know in every home folder there is a Public folder accessible by everyone. Perhaps you can move your library to this folder and set it as the main repository in iTunes?

Might be worth a shot. I know that, otherwise, iTunes is very fickle about filesharing and wanting to work correctly.

Edit: Or you could modify the permissions to your music folder making it world readable. I know you can do this in terminal by executing: chmod a+r <Your Music Folder>. That isn't recursive so you would have to execute chmod a+r <folder>/* ; chmod a+r <folder>/*/* etc. Anyone know if there is a batch command for recursive permissions? My UNIX skills are rusty.