Question about slipstreaming

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nar1117, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Hey all, as the title reads i have a quick question of slipstreaming.

Hypothetically speaking, say i wanted to install XP onto a Macbook pro using Boot Camp. I would need a copy of XP SP2, we all know that. Say i dont have a copy of XP SP2. Could i potentially use a friend's copy of XP SP1, slipstream it into a copy of SP2, and use that to install? Or would this be pirating? Im thinking its illegal, but im not so sure. Technically im not copying, im just... *upgrading*... Heh... remember this is all hypothetical.

And just a side question, if i do slipstream, ill need a blank DVD and a DVD burner, not just a CD-R right?

Thanks for all the help.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Slipstreaming is perfectly legal. It's also perfectly legal to make as many copies of Win XP as you want or need. You'll just need to buy a license for each PC you install it on ... which costs exactly the same as buying a packaged copy of XP.

It fits on a CDROM so no need for a DVD.

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i don't think you can buy a volume license for a single retail copy windows. you have start out and buy the volume license. This is straight from Microsoft press, I do not know how it works out in reality though.

4. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

As long as you have a valid licence key that is your own, you're fine. There's nothing illegal about slipstreaming media and making your own install disc.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You can buy individual licenses. For instance, you can build a PC and buy XP for it. Then build another PC and use the same install disk, but just buy a license instead of the full product.

I would just go and get an OEM XP disk though if I were buying (which I'm not) - less bother than slipstreaming and at least you have the original media.

6. Nar1117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Where does one buy such a license? Does it cost the same as an OEM XP?

So i guess using a friend's license (hypothetically) is out of the question legally...

7. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Too bad there is no way (that I know of) to slipstream a copy of Windows XP Home Upgrade, because that is what I have. Bought the first week its been out, has been on 3 or 4 different computers now (only one at a time, so perfectly legal) Unfortunately it IS an upgrade so I probably won't be able to put it on my future iMac (even though the upgrade costs as much as the full OEM version.)

8. Nar1117 thread starter macrumors 6502

So its impossible to put the same licensed version of XP on two computers? Or is it possible, but just not legal?

And if i do slipstream, do i need a CD-R or a DVD-R?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.mspx

Last I checked it costs just about as much as full packaged retail product (i.e. about 2x the cost of OEM).

You could potentially use your friend's media, if you bought your own license at the link above. Windows activation is designed to make doing so without the extra license very difficult, but it would work for 30 days...

EDIT: Slipstreaming usually only requires a CD-R.
    DavidLeblond, search this subforum for my posts on how I transferred my XP Home Upgrade license to my iMac. Legally you must do this as a license transfer and eliminate any other PCs that have had the license installed.

B

10. Nar1117 thread starter macrumors 6502

And by eliminate you mean... uninstall windows? never use the computer again?

11. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Whenever I've transferred Windows in the past, I've simply called Microsoft and activated it that way. I don't have a PC, so I'm not using the copy at the moment.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

From the retail EULA http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx
    FWIW, I didn't have to call MS to activate my copy after the transfer, and I have transferred it twice (from a notebook that died to a desktop which was replaced by my iMac).

B