Question about stuffit....very weird (and maybe super stupid)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by acidity, Nov 9, 2006.

1. acidity macrumors regular

Hello

I downloaded M$ Remote Desktop client which comes in .bin format. While downloading FF2 asked me whether to use StuffIt to decompress it or just save it in hard disk. I selected the option to save it in drive.

Once downloaded, I cant find Stuffit anywhere (application, application/utilities, spotlight returns 0 result)? I also right clicked on the .bin file and selected Open File but cant find Stuffit decompressor to decompress the .bin file?

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Ritesh

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, did you install Stuffit? For some reason, Tiger doesn't include it as bundled software. :(

3. gumbyhw macrumors newbie

Use Safari

I would avoid installing stuffit if you possibly can. Since Allume took them over the program has become a disaster, spewing shrapnel through your filesystem (e.g. overwriting your .profile file) and generally messing things up. I have a copy installed on a mac I don't otherwise use much -- mainly I use it for unstuffing files! But luckily there are fewer and fewer of them these days.

But there's a fix for your immediate problem: if you download a .bin file with Safari it will automatically unpack it for you! Other browsers (e.g. Omnniweb, FF) won't.

So use Safari to re-download the file from the original location or from 127.0.0.1 and you'll be right.

4. acidity thread starter macrumors regular

That would be strange if StuffiT is not installed coz whenever I double click on a .zip file it actually unzips it using StuffIt. So is only StuffiT decompressor installed or what?

I have no idea whats going on...
    I just tried Safari method and it worked.

Thanks but the first issue still stumbles me...

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

With Tiger, Apple stopped including a copy of StuffIt because very few programs were being released in the old formats. .dmg and .zip were de rigeur now for program downloads.

OSX handles unzipping .zip files so unless you've selected StuffIt to be your default "unzipper" you won't be using StuffIt for .zip files.