Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D34th

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
Okay, so today I bought my first pair of actual sunglasses. I have tried for years and I just don't have a sunglass face. I spend most of my time during the summer out on the water (I work on a boat/island) and so after 4 years of it, I decided to buy some and try to save my eyes before its too late, if not already. I bought some Oakley Fives 2.0. They are basically the smallest sunglasses Oakley makes and are designed for smaller faces, good for me. Now I thought they were okay but a few of my friends are laughing because my eyebrows are showing. I'm horrified of having glasses too big, and now people are telling me to return them because they let my eyebrows show. So what do you guys think, I've heard both ways. Is it okay if your eyebrows show while wearing sunglasses?

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Of course it is....

Oakley make some of the best techincal shades out there. They use XYZ optics to compensate for distance distortion (mostly used in their goggles) many of their highend glasses can take a lot of damage, and protect your eyes too.

as for your eyebrows....rock em if you got em....:)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Tsk. Can't judge sunglasses on a person by whether or not their eyebrows show. It's a package thing...

Post a pic. :p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
devilot said:
Tsk. Can't judge sunglasses on a person by whether or not their eyebrows show. It's a package thing...

Yeah, the eyebrows thing in and of itself makes no real fashion impact. Well, unless your eyebrows are excessively bushy. If you're rockin' monobrow, you need to be trimming that! ;)

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
What do they want you to wear giant Elton John sunglasses just to make sure your eyebrows dont show? Please. If you like the sunglasses, then dont worry about them. I'm sure they are fine.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
In case you're not convinced yet, I'll agree with everyone so far. Far more important is whether they fit your face, and, as devilot said, the total package.

D34th

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
mkrishnan said:
This thread has become useless without pictures. :)

No, I think I'm convinced enough, lol. But seriously, I like the glasses, and I wasn't really going to return them because of what my friends said. So they will just have to get used to it...

Sogo

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
I wear my sun glasses at night,
so i can
so i can
keep track of the visions in my eyes

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I'd say follow your own personal sense of style. As a few of the others have said you can't base your decision on a blanket statement like "no one's eyebrows should never show." Each face is different. If your sunglasses look good on your face then keep 'em.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
Dr.Gargoyle said:
It isny your eyebrows that needs protection, right? :rolleyes: Ignore the morons.
I would never trade my Revos for anything, regardless if my eyebrows are showing or not. I wear my sunglasses to protect my eyes, not to make a fashion statement.

Yeah, I totally agree with you and everyone else so far on the thread. Dont worry about it, its all good.

BTW those Revo's look pretty advanced. You must get awesome protection with them eh?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
D34th said:
Okay, so today I bought my first pair of actual sunglasses. I have tried for years and I just don't have a sunglass face. I spend most of my time during the summer out on the water (I work on a boat/island) and so after 4 years of it, I decided to buy some and try to save my eyes before its too late, if not already. I bought some Oakley Fives 2.0. They are basically the smallest sunglasses Oakley makes and are designed for smaller faces, good for me. Now I thought they were okay but a few of my friends are laughing because my eyebrows are showing. I'm horrified of having glasses too big, and now people are telling me to return them because they let my eyebrows show. So what do you guys think, I've heard both ways. Is it okay if your eyebrows show while wearing sunglasses?
Your sunglasses are for YOUR eyes.

So get whatever model works well for your eyes.

And if it looks good great, fantastic. If not, who cares?

sakasune

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
I honestly never heard of that your eyebrows shouldn't be showing...I don't know what your friends are smoking. I've owned plenty of sunglasses (due to mainly to misplacing them) and I don't think I've had one pair that hid my eyebrows.

krimson

macrumors 65816
the "covering the eyebrows" thing is a fad. You'll see alot of those aspiring starlet-pseudo-celebs (*cough* Paris) wearing large lensed sunglasses. If you like that look, rock it. If you like what you got now, keep it.

If your friends keep pestering you, cover your eyebrows in zinc oxide and ask them if it's okay NOW since your eyebrows are covered..

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Are you comfortable when you're wearing them?

.. because that's all you can really ask for, and if you're out on the water a lot, I hope you got shades that are polarized.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Glasses are for eyes not eyebrows imo.

I am going to buy a pair of those big round, bug/alien sunglasses w/the gradient look so I can see what they look like when used as filters for my camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.