Question about the free iPod rebate.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CrEsTo, Jun 24, 2006.

1. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

I'm a College Student doing an International program with my school in the US, so I don't have an american student ID.

If I buy online, how does the rebate works? Do they ask you to send copies of your ID ? Or can I just pretend I have one ?

I'd like to buy a new MacBook for my girlfriend and the free ipod is tempting, any help is welcome.

2. wako macrumors 65816

Only thing it asks you is what school you goto. it wont ever ask for verification.

The physical apple stores do though. But for the rebate process, it never asks

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Apple claims to do periodic audits of people buying under the educational program to check for proof of eligibility. There are people on these forums who have been contacted by Apple, but the percentage seems pretty low.

4. CrEsTo thread starter macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

Thanks!

Yes, I went today to the store thinking about buying it, but without the ID they just said no.

I'll order it online :)

5. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Do they do the audit after they mail you the product? If you do not reply, what could they do? They cant just charge the credit card you used. I guess the can void the warranty until you give them the paper work.

6. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

If found violating the terms and if you placed your order by credit card, Apple will apply the charge to your credit card which will be the difference between the amount you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the same goods at the Apple Store, in effect on the date that you placed your order.

https://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespoliciesEdIndividual.html#AuditRights

7. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Wow did not know that... I couldnt find my school so I pick a random one when i brought my Ipod. I wonder if I have to prove i went to the school I picked. Time to change creditcard numbers.

8. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

Well IMO you shouldn't have done that. If apple audits you, and found you are guilty they can bring up a legal action against you. But the chances are remote and you can pay the difference directly to apple to avoid that, if at all it happens. I think its better to be fair and not going against the law.

9. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

whoa! it's like pirating hardware, online! :mutters to self about how strange the world is: